Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Man on the Moon!!! Stencil Project :}


I'm not going to lie as much as I love Japanese culture, I equally love the Korean culture as well. Though most if not everyone I know is focused on Korean pop, the hallyu wave, I somewhat drifted away and am listening to more of the rap/hip-hop/r&b genre. 

For those who don't know of Eluphant....well now you do xD 

After watching the music video "Home, Sweet Home" from the album "Man on the Moon" that they produce these past couple months (I forgot when).
I can finally say that I never fell more in love with an astronaut. By that term I mean in general not necessarily the actor that played the role, though I think he would look more handsome without the guy liner (that bothers me).
Plus I really like the lyrics.

End thoughts of the MV: SOMEONE FLY THIS MAN TO THE MOON ASAP, THAT'S WHERE HE BELONGS ;  ^  ;

As the person that I am I couldn't help but notice that their album artwork is perfect for stenciling.
 Without further to do, lets get the process going ^  ^

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
some suggestion but not required, gather what you think you'll need

  1. Stencil kit/construction paper/or plastic folder (If you plan on making duplicates I recommend the stencil kit, but since I was cheap and didn't want to pay so much I just bought really sturdy construction paper or a plastic folder. Anything that can withstand paint since it'll be wet for the most part.)
  2. Fabric paint (I bought Jacquard Textile - 123 White)
  3. Jacket (I originally planed on a shirt but they ran out so I bought a F21 black hoodie)
  4. Paint brush 
  5. The enlarge imagine (any image you desire/size)
  6. Tape (to hold down the image on the paper to stencil)
  7. Exacto knife/box cutter/or razors
  8. Iron (very end to set the fabric paint permanently)
  9. Cardboard (used to place between your fabric so the paint doesn't leak over to the back or the front of the fabric)
**I'm sure they have spray on fabric paint, so you can skip the brushes, but you'll still need them to fill in the lines at the end from the stencil.

I tried to stencil by parts but that failed because I wasn't able to center the piece correctly as I was trying to match it with the pocket. So the above Image I ended up washing it all off ;  ^  ;
Bottom line: Don't be lazy!!! You'll regret it.

 As you can see I stenciled out what was white from the original album cover. Places where I seem was too tedious to cut out I just ignored it. You want all the pieces attached and not fall off, so cut wisely.
Once I centered everything so that the cassette part of the astronaut suit is matched up with the pocket I taped it down.
After that just paint at free will ^  ^ though you have to hold down parts of the stencil that are more fragile and can be easily moved.
It's a really rough first coat of paint but once I got the general outline of it, I waited for the paint to dry a bit before peeling it off. If not it will be difficult to peel it off.
Once the stencil is remove, you can go over and repaint it as many coats of paint as you wish.

The thing with this Jacquard paint, especially the white one is that it is really translucent so I ended up going over the jacket about five to six times.

I'm not going to lie the first layer did give the sweater a lot of character cause of different texture.

Finished Project :}
How the cassette is painted right where the top of the pockets are sewn on.
The back was really plain looking to me so I painted on the album title :3 
Props to those who can pick it out if I wear it out and they know the music video or the album.

For the sleeves when I can get my hands on those squirt bottles, I was going to dilute the paint and squirt it on the sleeves just to create the nebula effect.
Whenever I get to it, I'll edit this those post again.

Then camera whore away~ wheeeeeeee (only cause I needed anew default :d)
But on a serious note it's really simple to wear, it is a regular jacket after all. 
I'm too lazy getting dressed up....xD
Where I'm at it been raining the last couple of days so the temperature plummet even more. So I wore a petticoat (not shown) over it and scarf to top it off ;3
Winter will be approaching soon, so defiantly stay warm guys :}

Enjoy stenciling and painting!!!! 
Don't forget to iron it to heat set the paint permanently!!!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was amazing! I love drawing and painting !
do you mind checking out my blog and commenting too?
Thanks a lot,
I'm new you see!

Finally a Tree (follow up)

FINALLY I HAVE GRADUATED!!! Such bittersweet moments, the pros and cons are endless, but in the mean time let's just focus on the pro...